Sunday, March 27, 2011

intro

Hi! My name is Christan and 'm creating this blog for my Web design class at Nichols College. I'm History major there. I live in Webster,MA with my parents and my three younger sisters. I also have four dogs, two shitzus, a mini dachsund and a chichua. When I am not in school, I like hanging out with my family and friends, watching my favorite anime or movies, or just sitting around and reading a good book.

As stated below the reason I had created this blog was for my Web Design class; but also to talk about the unusual heroines that are found in women's history. When a person reads about women's history, some one might read about Susan B. Anthony or Elizabeth Cady Stanton; but there are also other women who had an impact on women's history, such women like Elizabeth Blackwell; the first woman to get a doctorate, another example is Emily Dunning Barringer, who was the first woman to become an ambulance surgeon. There are also other women who may not have been suffragists but also talked about women's rights, one of them was Abigail Adams, who before she became first lady had written a letter to her husband asking about the founding fathers to remember that women are citizens too and that she should be given rights as well.
Abigail Adams may not have known it at first that she had begun the fight for women's rights, and that women would continue over a hundred years, until 1920 when the 19th amendment was signed into law. However, even though women had the right to vote, they would fight for the right to become equal to men.

3 comments:

  1. Kristen,

    You have a great knowledge of women's history. I am sure that I will learn a lot when reading your posts. Nice job with your first blog post!

    Also, for your Dad's sake, I hope that at least some of the animals are male since he is otherwise surrounded by females...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christan it is awesome that you are so passionate about history. In high school I strongly disliked history class and to be honest I really am not looking forward to taking any other history courses in my college career.
    I am familiar with Helen Keller and I actually became really interested in her story after doing a project for one of my junior high courses (this was probably the only project I wanted to do for history class). I look forward to reading your posts, i'm sure I will be learning a lot in the following weeks! Thanks for the short lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a lot of dogs! Unfortunately my daughter is afraid of dogs so I can't get one. I like all of the pictures that you used on your post. It's nice that you can incorporate something you are interested in into your assignments.

    ReplyDelete